Wednesday, March 5, 2014

March 5, 2014 CameraShy Take 52

Week #9 already...and I'm proud to say I am still 100% participating although all have not been here on my blog.  (I keep forgetting!)  This week's theme is "Root".  Half of the fun is thinking outside of the box, so I went a direction that caused great fear in my younger years.

Roots
Algebra, square roots, equations....these things would cause my stomach to clench, my brain to freeze, and to consider myself "just not good at math."  It never occurred to me that, perhaps, Math was never presented in a way my mind could grasp. 
Interesting....a change in perspective!  I crave structure and pattern.  I'm glad to say that I CAN solve simple equations now.  But honestly, the only time I have ever used Algebra in real life is when my kids needed help in math...and they always went to their dad after consulting me just to check if I was actually right.

P.S. I believe anything Danica McKellar says.  After all, she was my favorite character, Winnie, in The Wonder Years, an Academic, an Author, and NOW I'll get to watch her in Dancing With The Stars!  Multi-talented, Intelligent & Gorgeous....triple-threat :)

11 comments:

  1. Karen, I was thinking of doing something similar too. This is so cool, although I have NO idea at all what that equation means! The Wonder Years...never knew that's what they were when I was living them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true, Harsha! Life always looks better when we look back :)

      Delete
  2. Oh...jsut to say...this is Harsha from the Take52 challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmmm, math huh! I don't think they do it the way I learned ages ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I KNOW they don't do it the way I learned! It's crazy now....makes no sense at all.

      Delete
  4. I love your handwriting and numbers! Very nice! Aww Winnie...she was my favorite too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to watch her on DWTS! I'm hoping I love her on that too :)

      Delete
  5. It still causes my stomach to clench….trying hard to help my kids bit they decided early on that Dad knows better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Luckily, practical math doesn't cause me anxiety....like when I'm calculating my shopping totals in my head :).

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I need to read that book! I teach third grade math - my goal is to get them to love it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I love comments!