This past weekend was spent with friends I met my freshman year of college. I hate to admit it, but that is almost 35 years ago. One of my "youthful" friends shared with me that she recently purchased Converse All-Stars...."Chucks" as we called them growing up.
Her college-age daughter's response was, "You must be having a mid-life crisis!" SERIOUSLY?! Do you think you invented these shoes?
Tell that to my dad! Look closely....you can see those famous stars on the side of his sneakers. Clearly, this is not a recent picture. And clearly, the above shoes are not shoes my dear old Dad would have worn.
- Converse All Stars have been around since 1917. Take that Adidas and Nike.
- Wilt Chamberlain was wearing All Stars during that game when he scored 100 points.
- In the 60s, Converse were worn by 90% of pro and college basketball players.
- Chuck Taylor never received a commission. Can you imagine how much money he missed out on?
- They weren't called "Chucks" until the 70s.
- Converse sold $450 million in Chucks in 2012.
As for me, I'll save MY mid-life crisis for something much grander...and MUCH more expensive...if I ever get old enough!